How Do You Get Rid Of A Neck Headache?
Quality neck physiotherapy can have a speedy and effective result in relieving your neck headache. The key to better treatment response is confirming your diagnosis. After your assessment, your physiotherapist will start you with treatment techniques that address your problems. Or, they will refer you on towards the most suitable clinician.
Your neck headache treatment may include all or some of the following techniques:
- Stiff neck joints may need to be loosened or unlocked via joint mobilisation (gentle gliding techniques), joint traction or, in specific cases, gentle and localised joint manipulation techniques.
- Hypermobile (or dynamically unstable) joints may require specific deep neck muscle strengthening exercises to stabilise, control and limit the joint movement.
- Tight or overactive muscles may require muscle stretching, neck massage, acupuncture, dry needling, trigger point release or other relaxation techniques.
- Weak muscles may require specific strengthening exercises. This weakness may include your postural shoulder blade and neck muscles.
- Nerve dysfunction identified by your physiotherapist will depend upon your specific examination findings. Neurosensitivity is a common finding that needs addressing with attentive, professional care.
- Posture correction via specific posture exercises, posture awareness techniques, posture taping, or a brace.
- Provide helpful advice on preventing neck dysfunction in the future, e.g. workstation setup, ergonomics, awkward neck positions and postures to avoid.
Who Treats Cervicogenic Headaches?
Chronic headache sufferers typically resolve their neck headaches within days or weeks.
In addition to relieving your neck headaches, your physiotherapist aims to address why you are experiencing neck headaches. After all, helping you to avoid future neck headaches is a crucial component of your rehabilitation.
Relief of your neck headache is quite often immediate! If a neck headache solely causes your trouble, it is common to experience instant relief as you walk out of the clinic.
Depending on the severity and the specific underlying causes of your neck headaches, most sufferers will experience a reduced headache after your initial consultation.
For more information, please consult your neck headache physiotherapist.