How Do You Know if it’s Muscle Pain or Something Else?
Decoding Muscle Pain: Is It a Strain or Something Else?
Torn Muscle? No matter how you describe it – “pulled muscle”, “muscle strain”, “muscle injury”, or “muscle tear”, the result is an injury to your muscle resulting in muscle pain, muscle weakness and reduced muscle performance.
The key symptoms when determining if a muscle injury is severe and something that requires professional assessment and treatment include the following:
- Sudden onset of pain rather than soreness the day after exercise
- Pain or muscle soreness that fails to settle within one to three days
Loss of Function
- Loss of function
- including loss of strength or muscle weakness
- discomfort or inability to weight-bear or lift against gravity
- Inability to perform a sudden or faster movement.
- Loss of flexibility
- Significant muscle injuries will cause the muscle to shorten, making you less flexible.
- If you can visibly see bruising around the injury site, you have suffered at least partially ruptured blood vessels.
Mechanism of Injury
- High-speed injuries, e.g. hamstring tear from sprinting
- High-load injuries, e.g. weight lifting
- Trauma, e.g. muscle contusions such as a corked thigh
What about DOMS?
You should also be aware that not all muscle pain is injury-related and can be due to systemic conditions such as fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis. Please consult your trusted healthcare practitioner for a thorough assessment and diagnosis of your muscle pain.
Symptoms of a Muscle Strain
- Muscle tightness
- Inability to fully stretch your injured muscle
- Loss of function
How to Care for Your Muscle Pain?
Any strain, injury or tear can cause muscle pain. The most common is the high-speed and load muscles such as your hamstrings, thigh (quadriceps), calf, back and biceps.
Muscle tears can range from a mild strain (Grade 1), moderate strain (Grade 2) to a complete rupture (Grade 3). Treatment options vary depending on your muscle strain, tear or rupture severity. Please seek the treatment advice of your trusted physiotherapist.
Common Muscle Injuries
Muscle pain, also known as myalgia, can result from various causes and can affect different areas of the body. Managing and preventing discomfort requires a clear understanding of these common muscle injuries. This comprehensive guide aims to explore several sources of muscle pain, including injuries in the neck and back, strains in the lower limbs, conditions in the upper limbs, systemic causes, and more.
To provide valuable insights into the management of common muscle injuries, this guide offers answers to frequently asked questions and suggests products that can aid in your recovery. Access additional information about each specific injury by clicking the provided links.
Neck & Back Muscle Injuries
Lower Limb Muscle Injuries
Upper Limb Muscle Injuries
Systemic Causes of Myalgia
More Information: Myalgia
FAQs & Products
Common Muscle Injury FAQs
Welcome to "Managing and Recovering from Muscle Injuries: FAQs," your ultimate guide to diagnosing, treating, and recovering from muscle injuries. Explore various types of muscle injuries, learn about trigger points, and gain an understanding of post-exercise muscular pain. Discover effective treatments to expedite recovery, and benefit from stretching exercises and foam rollers. Unlock the healing power of massage therapies, including remedial, relaxation, trigger point, acupressure, and sports massages. Get ready to take an active role in successfully managing and recovering from muscle injuries.
- How Do You Know If It's A Muscle Injury?
- What are the 4 Types of Muscle Injuries?
- What are the Most Common Muscle Injuries?
- What is a Trigger Point in a Muscle?
- What Causes Post-Exercise Muscular Pain?
- How Do You Know If Your Back Pain Is Muscular?
- Tendinopathy vs Muscle Tear?
- Muscle vs Ligament Injury?
Treatment & Recovery
- What is the Best Early Muscle Injury Treatment?
- How Long Does it Take for a Muscle Injury to Heal?
- How Does Dry Needling Help Muscle Injury?
- How Can You Speed Up Muscle Recovery?
- What's the Benefit of Stretching Exercises?
- How Do Foam Rollers Help Muscle Recovery?
Massage & Muscle Injuries
- Muscle Injury? What are the Benefits of Getting a Massage?
- What Is The Difference Between Remedial & Relaxation Massage?
- How Does Trigger Point Therapy Help?
- How Does Acupressure Help Muscle Injury?
- What is Sports Massage?
- When is the Best Time to Get a Pre-Event Massage?
- When is the Best Time for Your Post-Event Massage?