Children’s Back Pain
Adolescents can be particularly vulnerable to spine injuries mainly due to a combination of high flexibility and low muscle strength and control.
The competitive athlete and most individuals who exercise regularly or maintain a level of fitness and core stability control are less prone to spine injury and problems due to the strength and flexibility of supporting structures. Your physiotherapist can assist the resolution of any deficits in this area. Luckily, problems involving the lower lumbar spine are rare in athletes and account for less than 10% of sports-related injuries. Injuries do occur in contact sports and with repetitive strain sports.
Sports such as gymnastics, cricket fast bowlers, and tennis have a higher incidence of associated lumbar spine problems related to repetitive twisting and hyper-bending motions.
Spondylolisthesis is a major concern and need to be appropriately treated by a physiotherapist with a special interest in these type of injuries. Luckily, most injuries are minor, self-limited, and respond quickly to physiotherapy treatment.
Common Adolescent Spinal Injuries
- Back Muscle Pain
- Bulging Disc
- Muscle Strain
- Neck Headache
- Osteitis Pubis
- Overuse Injuries
- Pinched Nerve
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Sacroiliac Joint Pain
- Scheuermann’s Disease
- Side Strain (Abdominal)
- Spondylosis (Spine Arthritis)
- Stress Fracture
- Wry Neck
FAQ’s about Adolescent Spinal Injuries
- Common Physiotherapy Treatment Techniques
- What Causes Back Pain?
- What Causes Post-Exercise Muscular Pain?
- What are the Best Core Exercises?
- Can Kinesiology Taping Reduce Your Swelling and Bruising?
- Headache or Migraine… What to do?
- How Do You Prevent Back Pain?
- How Does an Exercise Ball Help Back Pain?
- How to Achieve the Best Standing Posture
- Neck Headache? Free Online Test
- Posture Trainer? Check out the BackTone 4000
- What are Growing Pains?
- What are the Benefits of Good Posture?
- What are the Common Adolescent Spinal Injuries?
- What are the Common Massage Therapy Techniques?
- What are the Healthiest Sleeping Postures?
- What are the Signs of an Unsupportive Pillow?
- What are the Symptoms of a Low Back Strain?
- What Causes Repeat Low Back Strains & Sprains?
- What is a TENS Machine?
- What is Chronic Pain?
- What is Good Standing Posture?
- What is Nerve Pain?
- What is Sports Physiotherapy?
- What is the Correct Way to Sit?
- What to do when you suffer back pain?
- What to expect when you visit PhysioWorks?
- What’s the Benefit of Stretching Exercises?
- When Should You Use a Shoulder Posture Brace?
- Why are Sprains and Strains of the Low Back Common?
- Why are Your Deep Core Muscles Important?
- Why Kinesiology Tape Helps Reduce Swelling and Bruising Quicker