What is the Correct Way to Sit?
How to Sit Correctly
- Sit up with your back straight and your shoulders back.
- Your buttocks should touch the back of your chair.
- All three normal back curves should be present while sitting.
- A small, rolled-up towel or a lumbar roll can be used to help you maintain the normal curves in your back.
Here's how to find a good sitting position when you're not using a back support or lumbar roll:
- Sit at the end of your chair and slouch completely
- Draw yourself up and accentuate the curve of your back as far as possible.
- Hold for a few seconds
- Release the position slightly (about 10 degrees). This is a good sitting posture.
- Distribute your body weight evenly on both hips.
- Bend your knees at a right angle. Do not sit with your knees crossed. Keep your knees even with or slightly higher than your hips.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Try to avoid sitting in the same position for more than 30 minutes.
- At work, adjust your chair height and workstation so you can sit up close to your work and tilt it up at you. Rest your elbows and arms on your chair or desk, keeping your shoulders relaxed.
- When sitting in a chair that rolls and pivots, don't twist at the waist while sitting. Instead, turn your whole body.
- When standing up from the sitting position, move to the front of the seat of your chair. Stand up by straightening your legs. Avoid bending forward at your waist. Immediately stretch your back by doing 10 standing backbends.
- It is okay to assume other sitting positions for short periods of time, but most of your sitting time should be spent as described above so there is minimal stress on your spine.
What is the Correct Way to Sit While Driving?
- Use a back support (lumbar roll) at the curve of your back. Your knees should be at the same level or higher than your hips.
- Move the seat close to the steering wheel to support the curve of your back. The seat should be close enough to allow your knees to bend and your feet to reach the pedals.
More info: Posture
Share this page
Receive Special Offers and the Latest Injury Information
Enter Details Below to Signup: