What's Your Core Stability Score?
How Good is Your Core Stability?
Research clearly shows that core stability retraining has short and long-term benefits for low back pain sufferers.
The good news is that we also know that core stability training markedly reduces your chances of re-injury.
Research on lower back pain sufferers has shown us that if you can re-activate your core stability muscles your chance of recurring back pain is dramatically reduced.
In fact, your chances of not experiencing another bout of low back pain (LBP) within twelve months are almost three times better if you have undertaken an ultrasound guided exercise program; 84% vs 30%.
After three years you still have a two in three chance of not experiencing low back pain if you did the exercises. Adding even more research support, if you didn’t do the exercises, you only have a one in four chance of being pain-free. You’re still over twice as likely to not experience another episode of back pain. Hides etal (2001).
PhysioWorks physiotherapists have expert knowledge in the training of core stability muscles. The difficulty has always been how to quantify a patient’s level of stability control. That is, until now.
The solution has been to develop a functional and clinically practical method of assessing your level of core stability and at what level it fails to cope when their individual demands are placed upon their body. That is, what is the individual client’s functional Back Stability Score (BSS)?
How Do We Assess Your Core Stability?
Your PhysioWorks physiotherapist will subjectively assess you to determine your current symptoms, pathology and functional requirement. Then, they'll physically test you to assess your back stability based your ability to activate your core control muscles (transversus abdominis, multifidus and gluteus medius).
If you can isolate these muscles, we are then able to further test when your core stability muscles lose control of your spine, become inhibited or fatigue. This assists us to determine what tasks make your vulnerable to back pain or injury.
What Happens after Your Core Stability Score is Determined?
Based on your functional needs, your treatment is directed towards your specific areas of weakness. The end result is a much stronger, stable and pain-free back. If you would like know your Back Stability Score please contact PhysioWorks.
What are the Benefits of the Functional Back Stability Score?
- You have a quantitative guide to your functional goals
- You have a current status score. Progress is measurable.
- You are able to progress quickly through the BSS levels to maintain motivation and self-esteem
- Individualised Treatment. Different retraining options depending upon desired outcomes.
- You are able to self manage in long-term
- Your goals are functional (task related) rather than simply a strength score.
- Quantitative Feedback forYou, Your Health Practitioners and Insurers.
- Step by step achievable goals and sensible steady exercise and treatment progressions.
- You'll be educated early how to prevent future injuries.
- You'll be introduced to ergonomics and understand the best postures for you
- You will prevent future bouts or at least minimise their severity
- It's a research-backed solution.
- It's perfect for all ages and physical ability.
- Their is a clear path for progression.
- Your exercises can be performed in the comfort of your own home without expensive gym equipment or membership
- You'll have a personalised professional guidance for assessment, reassessments and progressions.
- You'll be pain-free ASAP
For Clinicians & Insurers
- It's a clear measure of your functional capacity
- It allows better judgments on patient directions eg return to work
- It offer better individualised adviceand treatment
- It reduces jargon through measurable standardisation
- It's a functional measure that can be related to other outcome measures such as Oswestry Disability Score
- There is clinically relevant correlation between Subjective and Objective findings
- It reduces malingering.
What Conditions Does the Back Stability Program Improve?
- Spinal Pain
- Spinal Posture
- Pelvic floor function
- Degenrative Disc Disease
- Poor Balance or Fall History
What Doesn't It Do?
Rely entirely on passive modalities eg manipulation, massage
Does Everyone Need to Score 15 out of 15?
Definitley not. That's the beauty of this program. it's specifically targeted at you and your life's requirements.
For example, a sedentary elderly person may only require a BSS of three to safely cope with their everyday activities. A manual worker who changes bus tyres all day may require BSS of twelve to safely cope with their work duties.
Not sure if this program is suitable for you, please contact PhysioWorks for specific advice.
Core Stability FAQs
Real Time Ultrasound Physiotherapy FAQs
Core Stability Treatment
Real Time Ultrasound Physiotherapy Clinics
To make your booking, please contact one of the following PhysioWorks clinics that specialise in Real Time Ultrasound Physiotherapy programs.
Phone: 3366 4221
Phone: 3862 4544
Phone: 3269 1122
Share this page
Receive Special Offers and the Latest Injury Information
Enter Details Below to Signup: